Aeron Chair’s Size and Customization
The Aeron Chairs sold in the Mass Order are all fully loaded.
Meaning they come with the following features:
- Height Adjustment.
- Recline Limiter.
- Forward Tilt.
- Adjustable arms
- With Classic Carbon Mesh
The following may be different and can be customised.
- Graphite Cast Aluminium frame or Polished Aluminium frame.
- Posture fit or Lumbar pad back support.
- Vinyl or leather arm pads (Leather is only for polished aluminium frame models).
- Hard or standard hard castors.
- 3rd party fully adjustable head rest from Engineered one(USA).
We are no longer ordering the basic models as they don’t have the features that make benefit users.
If you want a straight answer what are the upgrades we recommend:
It’s the headrest.
The rest are up to preference.
The information below is for the Classic Aerons only. The remastered version may have slight differences.
Graphite Cast Iron frame or Polished Aluminium Frame
Cast aluminium is very tough, the colour is powder coated and scratches may be more visible.
Polished aluminium is the same material but polished till shiny; scratches are not as visible.
Important note about Remastered Aerons: The bases are made of a very strong plastic, only the polished aluminium models are made of real metal.
Posture fit or Lumbar Pad back support
Posture fit has a knob to control the depth of support required. It’s fixed so that it won’t get out of position.
The cushion is softer, more comfortable and supports the back via the low back muscles rather than a hard piece pushing against the spine like the lumbar pad.
Posture fit cost $100 with the chair.
Lumbar pad has only two depth of support; it’s stiffer.
Do note that we have a lot of feedbacks complain that the Lumbar pad gets easily pushed out of position and miss the correct spot to support.
It cost $85 with the chair.
Vinyl or leather arm pads
The leather arm pads are only available for models with the polished aluminium frame.
Hard or BB Carpet Casters
Casters are the wheels of the chairs.
Standard BB casters are for carpet , they are hard wheels with no additional protection coating.
Hard floor casters are with a softer polyurethane coating on the wheels which increase the amount of traction, to keep the chair from gliding away easily. The coating also reduces noises during rolling and reduce the chance of scratching.
The hard casters that we have are German-made from the same OEM factory as the original that are more durable and more stable in its quality. It can be used on carpet too. They come with roll away resistance, a subtle braking system that keeps your chair from rolling too far away when not in use. They are also with the latest noiseless roll technology, which greatly reduce the amount sound from vibration when rolling.
It is important for the user to keep the casters away from aggressive liquid detergent and keep the wheels from direct sunlight. The habit of stepping on the wheels may result in disintegration.
Do note that hard casters breaking down within 5 years due to poor compatibility with the flooring, will be replaced with standard BB casters.
3rd party fully adjustable head rest from Engineered One(USA).
Many people were asking for a headrest to lean back for taking naps, or simply to rest their head after a long day.
Some users have been too used to bad posture, or have weak neck muscles supporting the head to the correct angle.
The Engineered Now Aeron Headrest is the missing item to give the support all the way to the neck
This is the most recommended upgrade we advise users to adopt.
They’re only a few makers for headrest in the market. After getting feedback and trying. It’s quite clear that the best headrest comes from the company call Engineered Now from the USA.
- Patented design for full adjustment with better manoeuvrability. Height, Depth & Tilt Control
- Angles can be tilted to any degrees.
- Synchronized angling when the user tilts
- Flexibility in extending to both height and depth.
- Able to lock positions for most joints. (Many other makers have a problem with locking in the depth and getting out of position).
- Mesh design – No entrapment of body heat causing discomfort.
- Better flexibility on the mesh to facilitate contouring.
There are two versions.
HR04 is 20% larger and can be adjusted taller
We have tried many options and conclude that the Engineered One headrest is the missing piece that firmly sits Aeron as the best chair in the world.
It empties every gap from your entire spine up to your neck developing the perfect support.
To support the head, the right place to support is the neck. Else if the cushion pushes the head, it will form the forward head posture
As it’s adjustable, you can tune the right angle to fit the position of your neck, as well as how much support is necessary.
It fits so snugly until you can’t move much out from your correct posture.
We highly recommend this upgrade above all the other upgrades.
Price will be cheaper if it’s sold with a chair together.
The HR03 and HR04 are designed for the classic Aeron chairs and the weave is slightly different for the remastered. It can fit onto the remastered and serve its purpose, but the weave pattern will look slightly different.
Original version versus remastered version of Aeron Chair.
The original classic version had been around since 1994, created by designers Bill Stumpf and Don Chadwick. Bill Stumpf was working with specialists in orthopaedic and vascular medicine, conducted extensive research into ergonomics, specifically in the way people sit. Unfortunately, Bill Stumpf deceased in 2006.
In 2016, a new version was released by industrial designer Don Chadwick. After 2 decades, the classic design was overdue for an update. It combines all the new found technology and techniques to improve the quality of the chair in almost every way. As well as to correct the defects or issues found in the classic model.
The features and functionality of the remastered Aeron chair remain the same with the following changes.
- The gearbox has a new design, knobs are shifted to the front.
- Tilt movement is more fluid and bouncy, reducing stress on the back.
- The pellicle fabric had been changed to have a softer and more comfortable feel. This is quite a remarkable improvement over the classic.
- The posture fit has a change in the way it supports, it’s longer and supports along the spine on two sections, this gives you a more natural curve compare to the old design.
- The base of the chair is now made of a very hard plastic that is the same as the frame of the chair. It is now lighter and easier to shift around, which encourages movement and better blood circulation. Weight limit for the chair remains the same.
- Fully adjustable arms have more adjustments, you can shift the arm pads to your preferred depth.
All in all, the remastered Aeron is a better improvement which increases the comfort level of the user with better support.
Here are the size charts.
It will be more appropriate to get the right size base on the chart than testing.
In the event the given weight and height have two possible sizing, users are encouraged to read the chart and decide which size it’s closer to.
Do note that if the chair is too big, the user will lose the dexterity of tilting the chair easily. As the user do not have the weight and height to angulate and pivot the tilting mechanism.